Sunday, December 6, 2009

Why don't people go to the movies as much as they used to?

Personally, I always like going the first weekend, if I can. I hate hearing about movies from other people, and I like going out when there's a full theatre and getting some popcorn.



But they keep saying ticket sales are down. Why aren't people going to the movies as much these days? Is it waiting for the DVD, or illegal downloads, or the movies just suck, or the theatres suck?



Why don't people go to the movies as much as they used to?regal theater



I don't go nearly as much as I used to. I can provide you with a number of reasons:



1.) Netflix/DVDs, cable/TiVo/DRV, downloading



2.) Price - Why would ticket prices go up unless the service/product offered in increased in quality/quantity? I know you have to raise prices to compensate for inflation, but this just isn't the case when it comes to ticket prices. Concessions are no value either. A 32 ounce soda is $4+, a handful of popcorn kernels is $5+ and some candy costs at least three times as much as you would pay on the outside. This is all economically unsound.



3.) Commercials - I can understand playing previews, but commercials? How can a theater justify increasing ticket sales and then force commercials on me? Those commercials would be fine if the revenue they produce would decrease my ticket price, but that's not what's happening. The theaters are double-dipping. Also, they delay the start of the movie. If I am going to a 7:30 show, I want that movie to start at 7:30, not 7:45.



So many in the industry are asking "Why don't people want to see movies anymore?" That's the wrong question. They should be asking themselves "Why aren't people seeing movies in our theaters?" The answer to that question is that the market value of any product or service is only as much as people are willing to pay for it. Movie theaters have become greedy. Their prices have outpaced what most people are willing to spend and the ticket sales have reflected this.



Why don't people go to the movies as much as they used to?performing art center opera theateri go all the time with family/friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Report It


Probably because everything that are putting out is either a remake of movies that we already saw before or they are just dumb. Plus after all is said and done, it is expensive to see a movie unless its a matinee.
I love going to the movies. My friend and I used to go twice a week. Now, i'm lucky to go once a month. The problem where I live is we don't get all of the movies coming out, usually the ones I want to see. I live across the river from Canada, and will usually check out the theaters there, but most of the time, same story. Plus, prices are so crazy these days. Such a rip off..especially the snack bar. I don't know about your theatre, but it now costs $3.50 for a kids drink. Ridiculus. I still love the movies, but my wallet doesn't appreciate them the way I do.
I'm with you that going to theaters so interesting, specially 3D-movies.



But as you know: illegal downloads and DVD copies are so comfortable than going to theaters%26gt; nowadays people have media stations in there houses they can show movies on.
Dvds and tapes of course.
Because most of the movies these days suck, ticket prices are ridiculous ($10.50 a ticket here), the popcorn is stale and way overpriced, plus they don't even use real butter anymore, a 50 cent soda costs $4.50, and half the idiots in the theater are lighting up their cell phones.



Did I miss anything?



Probably.
Some people just prefer the comfort of their own home. And now that home theater systems and plasma/lcd screens are out there... people can pretty much get the same experience. But without the expensive ticket and concession prices. Personally, there's maybe 1-2 movies each year that make me want to go to a theater. Most of whats out there isn't worth my 9 bucks for a ticket. (12 for the imax) Plus, I can go buy used dvd's for 5-8 bucks. So I usually don't bother with theaters unless I'm really bored. That and I don't like crowded theaters. But thats me.
i don't know about anyone else, but i'm going more often than i used to.
Personally I wouldn't go so far as to say that movies totally suck, but they are not worth the $10 plus dollars (here in NYC). Also, movies used to be two hours or more. Nowadays I have noticed that they barely get over and hour - still not worth $10. It's much more economical to wait for movies to hit cable or DVD's. Also, I think that the theater experience has died and gone. Today, people have no respect for fellow moviegoers and talk THROUGHOUT the film, cell phones go off, babies are crying or making noise, people fart, the theater is dirty - all factors that keep me happy to stay at home.
I think you've just answered your own question (no disrespect intended); HOWEVER, there are also other reasons such as people go to school and/or work on a daily basis, don't have the money, and/or they are on a limited budget.
Think about it, we have pay per view on T.V. and movie rentals. You save money by staying home and watching movies. The cost of going to the movies has gone up, for two people to go to the movies cost about $20.00 or more plus the cost of gas to get there. I can stay home and watch or even buy a movie on DVD for less money. The drinks, popcorn and candy are cheaper.
Like most people I watch on DVD's. The movies cost too much to go to. Not the tickets so much as the snacks. I do sometimes go to see one I have been waiting on for a long time. I believe the last one was Pirates, Dead mans chest.
I think it's probably the price for most. I also am a fan of opening weekend, but it depends what the movie is. If it's a total raver than I'll defeniatly go and get the works. Most movies though aren't worth the $12+ to see in theater and I know many who will simply wait for them to come out on video.
Perspective... People are going to the movies A LOT more than they did 5, 10, 20, 30 years ago. Movies have become the essential part of pop culture, sites devoted to it, , special features, midnight showings... ticket sales maybe down compared to the block busters that broke all records, but don't let consumerism fool you. For $10.50 a ticket, Hollywood is doing just fine. If there is a decrease in sales, it would defiantly have something to do with things like the decreasing cost of DVDs and the speed which movies become rentals- lets also factor in things like netflix - all the people who just order in a pizza and never have to leave home (there are even dollar DVD rentals at most major groceries now!) Not to mention all the special features that you get with DVDs- stuff you can' experience in a movie, that sweetens the pot for some.
too expensive - its like 锟? a ticket where i am
The cost is prohibitive for a lot of people. I go, I enjoy going to a movie. The cost of popcorn and other items is ridiculously expensive. I think a lot of people can rent cheaper and eat popcorn in the comfort of their own home.



I admit I appreciate hearing varying opinions of movies when my friends see them first. I wouldn't have had to walk out on Norbit yesterday if I had spoken to one of my friends first. That was a first ever for me.



Best wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
computer security