Sunday, December 6, 2009

Was I doing the right thing?

I just got fired or laid off (I got a nice severance and a letter of recommendation so I really don't know which one it is) from work because of my "non-compliance" with clients. I did security in an artsy-fartsy rental theatre where, I felt, the office personnel were really high up the clients' ar$es just to get an extra buck out of them and I would constantly be taking flak for doing, what I thought, was the right thing.



Here's an example of something that they would constantly allow them to do. They would give them permission to park in the fire routes. I would always tell the clients otherwise because it's a huge safety hazard during shows, and I would often have to get the law involved (I have city's authorization to write parking tickets). That's just something to help you get a feel for what else goes on.



I know that they can terminate my employment with them, so that's not the issue. So was I doing the right thing?



Was I doing the right thing?comedy club



In that case you were doing the right thing. Many businesses will bend over backward for the rich client, because they know that the rich usually have connections with people of power who can make trouble for the business if they are so inclined.



It is unfortunate but true. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the rich squeaky wheel gets it RIGHT NOW!



Look at it this way. Had there been an incident where fire personnel had limited access, causing (God forbid) loss of life,due to the improper parking of autos, it might have been YOUR backside in the sling. I say this because, you can bet, they would not have taken responsibility for their "fudging the rules", for their rich patrons. It is only a matter of time, before their backbending policy gets them in hot water. Be glad that you are no longer in their employ.



They gave you a letter of recommendation. Is it worded properly? If prospective employers ask why you left your previous employer, do not bad mouth them. Just say that you had a difference of opinion in the way a security issue should be handled, and felt it best to search for a company whose security policy was a "better fit" for your own.



Was I doing the right thing?sheet music opera theater2eighty8 Thanks for choosing mine as Best Answer, Have a Blessed Day %26gt;%26lt;%26gt;?%26lt;%26gt;%26lt; Report It


Well I'd write back asking for a clarification of 'non-compliance', demanding to know which specific behaviors that includes, because you can believe this will come up in future job interviews. You can't fire someone for following the law, to the best of my knowledge.



In the interim, I'd be anonymously calling the cops every time I saw a car parked incorrectly, hopefully getting someone towed.
I think that you did the right thing, most people wouldn't have had the guts to do the right thing, the company that you worked for knows that, they let you go because someone else won't give them a hard time.
Yeah.. you were doing the right thing.... I understand that the results before you are NOT what you're goals were, but it's been my experience that this sort of thing always leads to something better...



Going against your convictions once in a while does not build deep anger, but over a log time, doing so makes you into a resentful / bitter / angry person...



You are better off being away from there... something better is bound to come your way, and you will someday see this as a positive.
yes you were, because if there were a fire (in that case), they would have come down on you like a ton of bricks, for Not doing your job and making sure it was safe. good on you. stand your ground.
You were doing the right thing, which is probably why they gave you the nice letter. They're afraid of you suing them. But doing the right thing often has results we don't like and this is one of those cases.
Yes, you were doing the right thing. Isa out.
Yes, What would've happened if there was a fire and the truck had a delay getting to where it needed to go b/c some jackhole was parked illegallly?



I'd call OSHA and the Labor Board on these tards.
yeah most deffinetly those wowsas dont know a good security guard when they see one

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
computer security