Thursday, December 10, 2009

Stage hand strike?

I'm just curious, I'm a major theatre geek, and I've been following the strike in the news, but haven't seen this addressed. Some shows which have been shut down are set to close soon. For instance "The Grinch" and "Les Mis" are two I know of for sure. Will the closing of their runs be pushed back or will they close as scheduled? I can understand the Grinch closing as scheduled since it's seasonal, but what about Les Mis? I know "Duran Duran" got around the strike by running its final performances off-Broadway. I'm just wondering if other shows will do the same. I have a friend who has tickets for Les Mis in December, so he's pretty concerned, I'm just wondering, because this has the potential to disappoint a lot of people.



Stage hand strike?city opera



The disappointment is what the strikers are counting on. The stagehands union is the major reason tickets cost so much. They force people to hire more help than they need and then they want more money for everyone, even those who get paid for not working. They are gangsters in a league as big as congressmen. Some shows may just close early. Others will never open. It is sad. A huge economic burden on a dying industry, the Broadway theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
computer security